The Questions at the End

The more I write, the more I realize that 1+1 is always 2 and 2+2 is always 4 but 1+1 might just as easily be 3, sometimes 4 and more often than not 5. I wish I could explain the thoughts behind every line but now they're written and I can't do anything about them. This one's about the end of a relationship. I apologize for the heavy metaphors.

The questions have started,
they'll likely remain unanswered,
the questions will remain.

How are you?
How are you really?
You ask me twice but there's no reveal.
If I could tell you, I wouldn't need to.

What happened?
I don't know.
All I know is that all was fine,
Then all too soon the spark was gone.

Explain yourself...
I knew I would have to,
I found that I no longer cared to.
The truth is I had forsaken us.

I can't understand.
I gave you everything.
You lacked nothing.
I know I lacked something.
What it was, you wouldn't guess,
I believed it punishable by death.

The date was set.
There was nothing left,
I would leave this day or next.
Nothing today mattered,
I could see the end.
After all, I would go someday,
That day might as well be today.

As quickly as it began it was over.
I had started the cycle of disrepair.
We would have several conversations after,
But the questions remained unanswered.

Happy Days,

Afam

No comments:

About Us

Recent

Random