The sound of Autumn: A Monster Calls

Image was taken from Empire of Books. It isn't mine.

Monsters call all the time. They come in different shapes and forms, and I'm fairly certain that everyone's got a little monster on their back. A little devil, trying to ride them to the grave. The book is not about those sorts of Monsters though. It's about the coping mechanisms we form. It's about the way we deliver therapy to ourselves. It is haunting in it's brilliance, and even though I'll maintain that it is not a tragedy it is as sombre as one. It isn't a tear jerker like the Time Traveller's wife or like Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix it's a more subtle. You identify with the main character even though he's only thirteen.

It's a book about dealing with adult themes and experiences. It's a book about life. It tells us that sometimes it's okay to be selfish. It's okay to put yourself before anyone else. It's very cleverly done. If I were to say any more about it, I would feel like I my love for the book isn't genuine. For all these reasons and more I have chosen A Monster Calls as my book of the Autumn.

"A Monster Calls" is about a boy who gives a monster reason enough to come walking. It's a book about self deception and the cushioning of blows. It's a book that teaches a principle from the school of Polonius, "to thine own self be true."

Happy Days,
Afam

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello there. It's me your secret admirer again. Have you read the perks of being a wall flower? I heard a movie is coming out for it. I think it's brilliant. I also like the lovely bones. Do you read anything by Nigerian writers?

Afam said...

Hello, how will I do anything about your admiration if you don't tell me who you are? No, I have not read the Perks of being a wallflower. Yes there is a movie coming out quite soon. Yes, I read many things by Nigerian writers.

Anonymous said...

In time, my dear... In time. I saw the sassy comment on facebook that I may be a guy named brad. Lol! I want to assure you that I am infact female. A female awed by your mind and thoughts and how well they are expressed in writing.

I will think of you today.

Afam said...

Yes, I saw that too. He has been cautioned. I trust that he'll stray from that line of banter. Please don't stop feeding my ego. It isn't nearly large enough. Thinking of me on one day isn't enough, you must think of me everyday.


Anonymous said...

Okay. As long as you keep writing, I'll keep coming back. And maybe one day I'll show my beautiful face. Yes, I'm afraid I tend to compliment myself too. :) Read the perks of being a wallflower.

About Us

Recent

Random