Thoughts on the Nigerian Version of the Hold Me Back Video

I'll get right to it. There's no need to dawdle. One individual wrote this,

"Does it make you angry? Does it rile you to see your country portrayed as poor and suffering and full of struggle?
It burns you, does it not? To have some foreigner- who knows nothing of your history and pain, of the stories that flow within your blood- to have this foreigner come in and tell your story?
Is it not the height of disrespect and insensitivity? Does it not chafe against the thick skin you have grown to cover your other wounds?
Does it not make you angry?
We should wax sanctimonious about national pride being slighted.
We should vent our displeasure online.
We should occupy something.
Because God forbid the truth ever be told about what things really are.
God forbid a stranger remind us about those things we choose to ignore everyday.
God forbid we ever face the truth about ourselves.
God forbid we do not go on the internet and rail about how our country is being cast in bad light. God forbid we do not talk about how there is a small minority which lives better than portrayed. God forbid we do not ignore truth one more time.
God forbid we don’t."
@miabaga_dotcom

I'll answer him directly, no it does not make me angry. Why should it? No it does not rile me to see my country portrayed as poor and suffering and full of struggle. It doesn't, because that's how my country really is. No it doesn't burn me that some foreigner with questionable taste came in to tell my story because you'll find that foreigners tell the best stories. To see anything clearly you have to stand on the outside and look in. No it is not the height of disrespect and insensitivity, it could have been so much worse. I think he even cast us in a positive light.


I'm not quite sure what is meant by,
"We should wax sanctimonious about national pride being slighted"

I find it shocking that with all my literary prowess I have been defeated by such a sentence. Is it not magnificent? I must be at fault for not understanding it. Oh what did you say? I shouldn't be so hard on myself because you have no idea what it means either? Good man!!

Please don't go on the internet and rail about it, you'll come across as whiny. You must not forget that there are issues far more pressing than your thoughts on Rick Ross' video. For instance, do you know that Beyonce may be pregnant again? No I'm not making it up, I read it here

I think he showed us as we are, poor and happy. He showed the struggle, and there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has some struggle or the other. Of course some struggles are more comfortable than others but to us they assume a position of monumental importance. For instance, there's this girl I like but I can't seem to form any sentences when I'm around her. This trivial matter is more important to me than global warming. Is it not sad? Are my priorities not warped? 

The good man even showed the wealthy. He showed the people at his concert.  I know that there was certainly a 1 million Naira table at the concert (£4000). It is also necessary to mention that the concert was held at the Eko Hotel, one of the most prestigious hotels in the country.



I'll convert it for you. N5,000 = £20. N10,000 =£40. N25,000 = £100. N500,000 = £2,000. N1,000,000 = £4,000. It's obvious that the people that attended are not paupers. The man that spends N5,000 naira on a concert is not worried about the source of his next meal. That is all.
Happy Days,
Afam

1 comment:

RESTORED said...

Nice one. Very true.

About Us

Recent

Random