Happy New Year from Afam and Captain Reginald!




Happy New Year. Yes, I am aware that it is now the 24th of January and as such 23 days late but you'll have to forgive me. After all I am Afam, Afam the Magnificent, the Clever, the Bold, the godly, the demi-god (Get creative with it. Any positive adjective will do. I'll even accept Afam the Ridiculous, because those who permit themselves to ridiculed in public do the world a service. They serve as the punching bags of the world.)

I'll be perfectly honest with you. I was delighted to see the back of 2012. My 2012 was just like the movie 2012. In 2012 I ran a little bit mad. I kid you not, I have a therapist, a killer prescription and everything. However I'm the sort of chap who'll look at the pieces of his life falling apart and say, "What a magnificent disaster! Do the pieces not fall beautifully?" there is beauty and delight to be had in everything. You need only aspire to see it.

I welcomed the new year as I've welcomed most other new years; deep in prayer at Church. It's a little bit of a Nigerian tradition. The last time I asked Papa Afam if I could party in the New Year, I was fixed with a look of such disdain and disbelief that I was rendered incapable of looking him in the eye for no fewer than three days. You mustn't think that I'm such a goody goody. I've had my crazy days.

What the future has in store for us I cannot tell. I can only hope that it's a better one than we can imagine. That even as the threads of our lives fray and come undone; even when all the shit in the world hits the proverbial fan, we'll find a large enough umbrella to shield us from the chaos.

Happy Present and Future Days,
Afam

No comments:

About Us

Recent

Random